Call for Directors
Thunder Bay Ventures Volunteer Board of Directors Position
What is this position?
Thunder Bay Ventures is seeking volunteers to join our Board of Directors that will contribute to the strategic direction and governance of the organization. As a director you will have the opportunity to help Thunder Bay Ventures assist small businesses in the Thunder Bay area.
What is Thunder Bay Ventures?
Thunder Bay Ventures is a non-profit organization contributing to the overall economic health of Thunder Bay and surrounding area. We are funded by the Government of Canada through FedNor to deliver the Community Futures program in the area. The four main pillars of our organization are: business advisory, financial support, community strategic planning, and community economic development. We work with other community economic development organizations to deliver business supports. Our vision is to see Thunder Bay and area become a vibrant, healthy, attractive, and sustainable city for both employees and employers, and we do that by making it our mission to foster community growth through innovation, diversification, modernization, and inclusion.
As a director your duties include:
- Attend 5 yearly Board of Directors meetings (and ad hoc meetings as necessary.
- Be as involved as you choose by joining other committees to increase your opportunities to contribute the economic well being of Thunder Bay.
- Recommend, review, evaluate and approve documents, briefs and reports submitted by staff members.
- Allocate human and financial resources to implement organizational policies and programs.
- Establish financial and administrative controls.
- Represent the organization, or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the organization, in negotiations or other official functions.
- Determine the company’s mission and strategic direction as conveyed through policies and concrete objectives which are met through the effective management of human and financial resources.
- Analyze investment projects.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Be established or looking to establish deep roots in our community.
- Committed to the economic future of Thunder Bay.
- Have the passion and drive needed to advance the organization.
- Have the business experience to contribute meaningfully to Board discussions.
- Available to make the time commitments required of a director.
In the interest of seeking out a diversified business expertise that is reflective of the economy of Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay Ventures in interested in business experience in the following areas:
- Health Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Arts and Culture
- Natural Resources
How to apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their cover letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com with the subject “Director Application”. Deadline to apply is December 20, 2023.